4/9/08

My bunny is now a dolphin.

At School, Z is in the midst of FINALLY transitioning from the infant classroom (the Bunnies, 6-18 months) to the older classroom (the Dolphins 18-36 months). We've been waiting for this for awhile. Her friend Maisy was moved last month (don't get me started on that one) and Z misses her. At almost two, Z is one OLD bunny. She is talking up a storm and ready for new adventures.

It is TIME.

And, predictably I guess, I'm sad and nervous for her. Last Friday, CG and I went with Z to spend some time over with the Dolphins. I held her tight as we walked amongst these mysterious older kids to examine the play kitchen, the big outdoor jungle gym and the rows of low sinks and tiny potties. The Dolphins all run so fast! They might push her over! They're all using the adorable little potties! They have already made friends and may not include her! (Oh wait! That last one was a flashback to my 5 grade experience! Sorry.)

I know she is ready. I can't stop time. I can't protect her from every bump and bruise and social snub. I can't make the world perfect and smooth and friendly for her.

Something tells me that this part, the wanting to protect her from the big, bad world part, is only going to get harder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your little Dolphin : )

Anonymous said...

i am so glad you are sensible and of sound mind and judgment because if you were not sensible and of sound mind and judgment i would be a total nut case even though you are thirty-five years old because that umbilical cord can still tug the heartstrings.Big time.In other words, this feeling you have does not go away. It changes, but it is always there.
Love, Mom

Sarah said...

I am sure it will get very much harder! If you think this is bad, imagine DRIVING! (Am I a freak that I sometimes worry about that ALREADY?)

Blog Designed by: NW Designs