9/4/13

Life with a Capital L

It always surprises me when writing something down helps create change in my life. The process doesn't always feel dynamic in that way. Sometimes, it feels like I beep-beep-beep back my brain up to the computer, dump whatever's in there and drive away.

My last post not only cleared something out, but it left me clearer.

I didn't take the girls on adventures this summer, like I wanted to, like I intended to, not because Z is particularly challenging, but because I was scared. I was scared it would be emotionally messy. I was scared I couldn't handle it. I was scared my expectations for Fun with a Capital F wouldn't be met due to Emotions with a capital E.

After I wrote that post, I looked at our last week before school, our wide open, NO PLANS WHATSOEVER week, and made some plans. Because I can handle it. Or, even if I can't, I want to chose to muddle through in the spirit of adventure.

We went floating down the Shenandoah River on a perfect, gorgeous day and stopped for ice cream on the way home.



We had one last trip to the local outdoor water park where CG met us with pizza for dinner.
 



We spent the day at a lake in Maryland with some friends to picnic and swim and build a "dam".


I even took the girls, their dolls and a friend on their first trip to the American Girl Doll Store for lunch, hair styling and allowance spending. (And I only thought seriously about what my medal for that one would look like ONCE.)

The week was full of bumps. There were emotional melt-downs. There were many, many forcibly deep breaths.

But that's life, right? Bumps and deep breaths and even emotional meltdowns are to be expected, whether we are at home or off to a new place. So why not try the new places?

Because there was also fun. So much fun.

And I'm pretty sure the fun is what we'll remember most.


3 comments:

Hillary said...

You guys are too cute. That picture from the Shenandoah River makes me miss Virginia.

It's hard to lower expectations, to just grit your teeth and have fun, damn it!, but it's oh so worth it. Glad you had such a golden week.

twisterfish said...

What a lovely and beautiful week you had!

KG said...

That last picture... the whole sentiment of this post... this is why I so rarely left the house with the twins these last couple years... and yet it is (usually!) so worth it to be intrepid. Thank you for reminding me.

And that last picture? Golden. I'm weeping here.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs