3/1/11

Mid blog-life crisis

I feel compelled to write personal narrative, short memoir, an online journal, ego-driven navel-gazing, whatever you want to call it. And I want to do more of it, broaden my view of what's possible, including maybe even getting paid.

How can I write personal stories elsewhere while still shielding my family? I am an introverted over-sharer - it seems blogs were MADE for people like me - but my husband is very private and wary of online living. And my children? How can I predict what they will be comfortable with? How might my writing online affect their lives?

Currently this doesn't matter, because my blog has a small audience and is relatively anonymous. My family and select friends know about it but you can't Google my name, or any of my family's names, and find this website. I did that on purpose. It's highly unlikely that any ex-boyfriends or mean girls from junior high or local moms vetting play dates would stumble upon this space.

But now that I'd like to to try to write elsewhere, I guess I would need to put my real name out there. And then would I link to this website? Even if I get published elsewhere and don't link to this site, CG freaked me right out last night when he sat me down and explained how, in a matter of a few years, people will be able to Google search cross-referencing facial recognition of Facebook pictures, names, domains, FINGERPRINTS OF YOUR FIRSTBORN CHILD. (I'm pretty sure that last one was in there.)

So long, relative anonymity.

I am getting ahead of myself, of course. Like most of us SAHMs, I have precious little time to devote to anything but the daily grind- cooking vegetable my kids won't eat, vacuuming up Polly Pocket shoes, wiping impossibly small bottoms, you know the drill. It's all I can do most days to read a little bit and write a crappy first draft of a blog post. Writing that young adult novel I have in my head, finding a serious writing program, crafting freelance pieces - all these seem impossibly far off.

I think I'm having a mid blog-life crisis. What's a girl to do?

Keep writing, of course, one page, one day, at a time. That's the substance, the heart, of what I want. But I also crave change, in the what-the-heck-give-me-blonde-highlights! kind of way. So in lieu of a red convertible or a trophy husband, or those ill-advised blonde highlights, I'm going to get myself a bloggy makeover.

It's a start.

(Stay tuned.)

10 comments:

Marie Green said...

As long as you still write here, friend. I need you!

Whimsy said...

I hear you, I hear you, I hear you. And then some.

I will always stay tuned, no matter where you go (that sounds stalkerish, doesn't it?).

GratefulTwinMom said...

Can't wait to see what's in store.....Please let us know.

Hillary said...

Well, you've got me curious ...

Barb said...

I love your blog!! Don't leave us...

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Barb- Ha! You can't get rid of me that easily! I'll always be here, I just hope to be elsewhere someday too!

KG said...

YES!!!!! Soooo glad to hear you talking this way! You are MEANT to be published, sister. And I know you will find a middle way as you navigate this tricky area.

B said...

Can't wait to read your writing in more than one place!

Sarah said...

If anyone should be writing more, it's you. You've always had a really unique and honest voice. Do whatever you need to to feel comfortable and safe, but by all means, write more!

Anonymous said...

check out "Beyond ONe, Growing a family and getting a life"... this mom/author published a collection of her short articles on becoming a mother for the second time and all the trials and tribulations. Her path might help you figure out a way... good luck and I look forward to whatever you write next!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs