1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Left my toddler for four whole days and (sort of) lived to tell the tale.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My only resolution from last year was to find a way to dance more. I have to say it was a total FAIL as I neither got out to clubs nor a dance class. I did, however, get my daughter interested in some dance parties in our living room.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
The democratic party FINALLY gave birth to a president, thank goodness.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My cynicism about the political will of the democratic party kicked the bucket.
5. What countries did you visit?
Unfortunately none, other than my very own. Though Kauai was AWESOME.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Some more patience. Some more money. Some more time. Oh, and a Democratic President (yipee!).
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Tuesday November 4, the day that I started to believe in my country again. (Am I done with the Democratic Party cheerleading? I'm not sure...)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Gestating another person (halfway there!) and living through a terrible first trimester.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Succumbing just a bit too much to first trimester whining.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does first trimester misery count?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new pair of maternity jeans that only need to be hiked back up once an hour instead of once every five minutes.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The American people.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, insurances, daycare, Trader Joe's, Target.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Election night was a great high.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
1234 by Feist.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? 'bout the same.
b) thinner or fatter? WAY WAY bigger. But it's ALL baby. Really. I swear. Those twice daily servings of Christmas cookies have nothing to do with it.
c) richer or poorer? 'bout the same (though if I include retirement and college savings.....)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Danced. Cooked. Gardened. Hugged. Written letters. Made phone calls. Reached out.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Whined. Lost my temper. Stared at a plate of food and felt like crying way too many times.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my in-laws in Tucson, surrounded by dogs and sunshine and love.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?With CG and Zoe. Again and again and again.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Weeds, The Office, Entourage, The Daily Show, Mad Men.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't really go for the word "hate".
24. What was the best book you read?
Oh, that's a hard one... since my memory SUCKS, I'll have to go with what I'm currently reading and loving: Pasadena by David Ebershoff.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
A fun couple of months trying for another pregnancy.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?Once, Waitress, Juno, Superbad (all on Netflix, so they may be from 2007 for all I know!)
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had breakfast in bed, bought a sewing machine, and had a date night to see "Spring Awakening". I am now 36 (how did that happen?).
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It's a tie between a less sucky first trimester and a less sucky vote on Prop 8.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
How often can you wear sweats and still be considered as having a "fashion concept"?
32. What kept you sane?
My husband, family and friends. Exercise. Sunshine. Books.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Can I just say that I LOVE the word "fancy" in this context? I admit, sheepishly, that Obama's grin makes my stomach do a few flip-flops from time to time.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Again with the Prop 8.
35. Who did you miss?
All my friends and family who live too far away. I hate the phone. I hate to say goodbye. I hate that our country is just so damn big.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My talkative toddler. Who is this amazing, chatty, genuinely interesting PERSON?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Listen to your child, let her know she has been heard, then be sure you are the one in charge.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Can't do it alone. I've tried." - The Show, Lenka.