When I turn 40 this year, I would like to feel ... triumphant. So on November 28th of this year, this whole resolution/goal/to-do list thing will either make me feel terribly accomplished or terribly DEPRESSED. Whee!
I got this idea from Greenstyle Mom: 40 things to do in the year I turn 40. If you click over to her blog, you'll notice that she's going to do a back flip off a diving board and complete a marathon AND a triathalon. Mine are decidedly less impressive.
A lot of the things listed below either scare me, overwhelm me or just get lost in the shuffle. But they're all doable. Hopefully I'll find the impetus to get off my duff and just do them already!
1. Take a hike on the Appalachian Trail. It's close by! I've driven by it! And waved!
2. Submit writing to three different places, web or print.
3. Go out dancing (any kind!) with my husband.
4. Visit an art museum in DC with the girls (I'll be sure to warn all you local folks so you can steer clear).
5. Take the girls on a new hike.
6. Take a new exercise class.
7. Hold a freestanding headstand.
8. Hold a family fire drill.
9. Volunteer my time. Somewhere.
10. Go waterskiing again.
11. Take the girls on a hike to see my favorite waterfalls this summer in Vermont.
12. Start a baby clothes quilt (or just donate the freaking baby clothes already.)
13. Drive to West Virginia. It's so close! I've never been!
14. Show our girls the Atlantic Ocean. They've never seen it from this coast (Jamaica doesn't count in my book!) and that just feels wrong.
15. Take the dog for a hike, just the two of us.
16. Meditate. At least once.
17. Lie in bed until 8 am at least once. Just because.
18. Paint our living room.
19. Learn to love the old rug and curtains in our living room or get new ones.
20. Hang pictures on the walls in the basement.
21. Part my hair on the other side for a day. Just to see.
22. Wear earrings at least once a week.
23. Take a full day media/web fast.
24. Plant a new vegetable in our garden bed.
25. Take out all my camera lenses and remember what they're for.
26. Take at least one decent picture of the girls every week.
27. Tackle our filing cabinet.
28. Get our taxes done without needing an extension. *ahem* CG *ahem*
29. Sit down with CG and take a good, brave, come-to-Jesus look at our finances.
30. Check out the local Unitarian Church. IN PERSON.
31. Pick and freeze blueberries.
32. Make tiramisu, CG's favorite dessert, from scratch.
33. Visit the National Zoo with the girls.
34. Celebrate my tenth wedding anniversary in some exciting way.
35. Take my husband on a surprise date.
36. Take a creative workshop of any kind. Yoga. Writing. Sewing. Photography.
37. Write a 'just because' letter and mail it.
38. Host a Scrabble party, since my husband refuses to play with me.
39. Go on a family bike ride that finishes in a picnic.
40. Post here about these as I accomplish them!