7/19/07

Dispatch from Vermont #6: Touching base.


Dear Z,

My mom called yesterday. For the last four weeks, she and my dad have been unreachable, on safari in the most remote corners of Zambia. We are very close, and this was the longest time I've ever gone without speaking to her. I think a large part of my self-pitying post of a few weeks ago was an unnamed sense of loneliness. Clearly, I was missing my mommy.

As soon as you started walking, you've been very independent. You walk away from me without looking back, intent on finding the most dangerous thing in the room on which to chew, impale yourself or feed to the dog. But there are always regular returns to home base. You'll get freaked out by something and run back to me with your mouth wide open in a giggle or a shriek and you'll close your eyes and thrust your arms forward, lunging for me. We'll hold each other for a sweet, fleeting, heart-exploding-into-flowers-and-puppies second and then you're off again. Just want to know that the comfort and support of my mom is right here when I need it. Just touching base.

Tomorrow, when I pick my parents up at the airport, I will mostly likely be recreating this scenario. Only this time I'm the daughter.

Love, Your Clueless But Hopeful Mama

No comments:

Blog Designed by: NW Designs