3/14/08

Martha Stewart I ain't.

When I was in college, (I went to one of those former women's colleges where even a bunch of the men take "women's studies" and "feminist" is a term of endearment.) I remember hearing that "Home Economics" as a MAJOR at other colleges.

I remember shaking my head in disbelief. What a useless way to spend your college years, thought I.

Can I take it back?

Seriously.

Managing a family seems to be about the toughest job EVER. Let's start with cooking nutrious, exciting, toddler/friendly meals DAY AFTER FREAKING DAY. This is hurculean in and of itself (says the lady who gave her toddler boxed mac and cheese last night with canned baby food veggies mixed in as a "special sauce" BON APPETIT Z!).

Then there's managing the finances, cleaning the house (there are stains on our sofa that may be there for years at the rate we're going), and raising the child(ren). Apparently, Home Ec would have covered all that.

I'm so glad that I learned all about Maslow's hierarchy of needs and Freud's theories of the ego/superego/id but the rest of my psychology major is a bit of a wash right now. Even "Developmental Psychology" left me with little useful information to handle the Toddler Whiplash.

I could really use a few years at Martha Stewart/Rachel Ray University. Is it too late for a do over?

-----

Oh and thanks for all your advice on yesterday's post. I'll let you know what I do (or don't do!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Aunt majored in Home Ec. She teaches it in a high school, now. She was a SAHM with three daughters before she started teaching.

Anonymous said...

I could also use for my husband to go back and take some classes like Auto Shop. If he doen't know how to do any of that stuff, I figure I get to cut myself some slack.

Sarah said...

This was hilarious. My SIL is always complaining about this problem- saying, "I'm glad they pushed that whole 'get an education' crap on me, but where was the stuff about handling three kids AND a house AND a job AND a small business?"

Blog Designed by: NW Designs