2/22/10

Bait and switch

For the first few months of her life, E was a round, mellow Buddha baby, not at all demanding, fussy or easily startled. She seemed content to hang out and gaze at her surroundings while we clucked tritely about her "wise, old soul". I struggled with the usual post-partum hormonal maelstrom coupled with OMG THERE ARE TWO OF THEM NOW but eventually settled into being a mother of two with a lucky feeling: this one is going to be easy.



You would hardly recognize E now.

She is full tilt from the moment she wakes up. She lunges at me if I dare to try pass by her when she's on the floor, but the moment she's done being held, she strains to launch herself toward the floor. She grabs at anything and everything that is within her reach when she's up in my arms and has toppled placemats full of dishes and food and grocery store displays of toothbrushes and graham crackers.

(And that's just in the past week.)

She is rarely quiet and emits a bevy of sounds, the requisite "mama"s and "dada"s have been joined by a lot of insistent "SSSSSSS!!!" and "PFFFFFFF!!!" and "HE-YAHE-YAHE-YAHE-YAH!". It is often very loud in our house.

Toys hold no interest to her, unless they are small and choke-able and not specifically hers. She makes a beeline for power cords, outlets, stairs, cabinets with sharp things and/or dangerous chemicals in them, metal edges, shoes, the dog's water bowl.

A month ago, she started crawling in earnest, hands slapping the floor in a steady cadence, belly off the floor. Her skin on the front of her knees is red and raw and she has worn holes in the front of many of her sleepers, though we've given up on the button sleepers as they are impossible to get on her while she's crawling away from us. I have now become adept at changing a baby while she's crawling away from me, as that is preferable to using all my bodily force to hold her down while she screams bloody murder.

Two weeks ago, she pulled to standing.

This week, she started cruising.

She's nine months old.

This was a classic bait and switch.

9 comments:

Kathi McCracken Dente said...

Go Eliza! I am amazed at how T is crawling and pulling up in ways her sister never did til much later, but E is still about a month ahead. Craziness! It is so fun to see them learn things and so hard when they are into everything. Poor M complains T is getting into her stuff not realizing it will be that way for well...ever. And I always forget the babe-in-arms phase doesn't last very long. Our babies are growing up!

Marie Green said...

If I remember correctly (which is somewhat doubtful at times), "mobile baby" chills out after awhile, when the novelty of the newly found SKILLZ wears off.

If this is not the case for her, that I agree- YOU'VE BEEN HAD!

Hillary said...

I think second babies go one of two ways: either they're content to just hang out and let the older one take over OR they're desperate to go-go-go to keep up with the older sibling. Looks like E is a go-getter.

Melanie said...

I am always in awe of how much little ones learn in such a seemingly miniscule amount of time. Makes is really hard to "enjoy each stage" doesn't it?!
PS - I really want to nibble on those cheeks:)

Sarah said...

Sounds familar. She should meet Little Man!

EllenAC6 said...

fasten your seat belts...it's gonna be a bumpy life............. mine was walking at 9 months and quite a handful...

Michelle said...

Oh! How did she get so old so quickly!? Look at her go-go-going. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to choose to ignore this post and live in my naive bliss

Kader said...

YIKES! But I'm sure my 6 m.o. has no plans to wreak that kind of havoc...
Luckily, she has retained her extraordinarily charming cuteness. Good thing.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs