2/5/10

Bouncing baby

Some of you will remember that it was about this time last year that I shot a pregnancy workout video with my (now former) boss.

I just got my copy in the mail.

It's a little odd, to say the least, to watch a video of myself, very pregnant, mouth-breathing my way through a workout. And you can go out and buy a copy. (Not that you should! Not that I get any money from it! But it IS a pretty good workout. If I'm correctly remembering the never-ending dinner I ate the night after filming it, I'm pretty sure I burned 4,000 calories during the filming.)

At first blush, I am a little embarrassed by all the awkward moments captured forever on film. There are so many! It's hard to pick one to demonstrate! There's the moment when they do a slow zoom in on my flat, flat a$$. And the several moments when I seem to have forgotten why I'm there and am staring into space. And the many, many times where I am grimacing instead of smiling.

And, of course, there is the fact that they later shot more publicity stills for the cover with a beautiful, photogenic model, one who isn't in the video. I'm sure the publicity stills we shot were too .... blurry, right?

But mostly I am moved by seeing it. It IS the testimonial I was hoping for. Here is E, bouncing around in my taut watermelon belly. Here is me, moving my body, working on being a healthy and strong mama. Here we are, cupped together, but not for long.

Sometimes I lie in bed and feel the striated skin on my belly and marvel at the myriad ways I have been stretched by motherhood. After years of covering my face and groaning while watching dance videos of myself, I watched this video with open eyes and an open heart.

4 comments:

KG said...

Wow. Wowwowwowwow. This is so cool Jen! You are growing SO MUCH - practicing slowness, watching videos, it is AMAZING! I know it feels crummy right now, but I hope someday you get to look back (from a sunny, warm, FRIEND-FILLED place) on these months as the fertile, growing time they look like to me!

Marie Green said...

Is it bad that I'm a little miffed that YOU are not on the cover? How lame! But still, what an awesome thing to be a part of! Way to go, you cute pregnant mama!

Sarah said...

I'm miffed too. You would've looked way hotter, too- I've SEEN pictures of you pregnant. You looked HAWT.
Congrats anyways- hope I get to use that video someday soon!

Astarte said...

Congrats on the video! I am jealous that you are so comfortable and happy in your own skin. What an amazing thing to pass on. Maybe someday she will be able to work out to the video you made!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs