9/5/07

The first daycare plague.

Yesterday was supposed to be Z's "landing" day at daycare. I love that term: "landing". It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERTODDLER! "Landing" at a classroom near you!

So of course, she got a raging fever this weekend (no doubt some random daycare plague she caught last week as we transitioned her into the classroom) and though it was finally down yesterday morning and she had no other symptoms we had to wait till the fever has been gone for 24 hours before sending her back to the petri-dish, er classroom. I am hesitant to take her anywhere now, let alone back to daycare; with all the snotty toddlers in there, she might as well be french-kissing someone in the mononucleosis ward.

How is this supposed to work exactly? I was stressed enough about her being IN daycare, I wasn't fully prepared for the stress of she's-supposed-to-be-in-daycare-but-she-has-to-stay-home.

Chic Geek had an important meeting and lots of work to do and I had a full morning of Pilates clients scheduled (Yes, that's the higher calling that I am putting my child in daycare for. It may not be curing cancer but I enjoy it and it pays relatively well for part-time work.). I knew this would happen, but so soon? I couldn't exactly cancel my clients on my FIRST DAY. So CG took the morning off, missed his meeting and I rushed home so that he could speed off to work till 10 last night.

I guess we could do that: a few days a week, I could work for a three or four hour block in the morning and he could work till midnight. That would totally kill the roughly three hours of free couple time we have in between Z's bedtime and ours but hey! the kid would be taken care of by the people who love her most, I would keep one foot in the adult, working world and we would be pulling in some more income.

Who cares about our needs as a couple, right? Who cares if we never see each other or have time to relax or watch a Flight of the Conchords episode for the 54th time?

OOOh but think of all the money we'd save. (read: spend).

(Note: I am a big girl and have started referring to Z's daycare as.... "daycare". But I reserve the right to call it "school" anytime I get anxious or guilt-ridden.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah. after a day of NEEDING daycare for P, (must get things done) and seeing her actually ENJOY herself there... i've flipped back over to the other "maybe daycare is an OK thing" side. although, we are waiting for the next plague to hit... should hit tomorrow or saturday--- seems to be the schedule (so far pinkeye, fever, cold, cold, vomiting)
:)

hope zoe has a smooth 'landing'.
yes, once you have the luxury of daycare, then it's a panic of figuring out life withOUT daycare due to illness.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs