12/26/07

The holidays at my parents' house are about...

...finding that my parents have accumulated more stuff and crammed it further into the nooks and crannies of this old house than I ever thought possible and there is yet another box of "J's stuff" that I MUST go through and deal with before I leave.

...having the annual conversation with my mom about how easily we non-shoppers can shop for each other.

...clandestinely eating most of my dad's Costco sized jar of Jelly Belly jelly beans, leaving the clearly lame buttered popcorn ones behind.

...spending the first two and a half weeks of December hating Christmas and vowing to request a simple, present-minimizing secret santa in our family for next year as well as steadfastly demanding nothing but a donation to a charity for myself.

...spending Christmas Eve and Christmas day filled to the brim with holiday cheer and excitement; thrilled with new, thoughtful gifts and excited to see the faces of loved ones with their gifts put quickly to enthusiastic use.

...my dad taking pains to wrap presents and hang lights with artistic flair and loving care.

...my mom making delicious, homemade breads and cookies and coffee cakes and spiced nuts and turkey and stuffing and cranberries and corn pudding and and and....

...being walked by my parents' dogs after stuffing our faces at the dining room table.

...realizing that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

1 comment:

Tess said...

Your dad wraps? That is so CUTE!

Hope you had a great holiday!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs