12/11/07

Mommy, Mommy, Mommy.

After a brief, fantastic period of time where Z seemed totally unfazed whenever I left the room, she now has earned a new nickname: "Velcro". These days, I cannot leave the room or even move a few feet away from her to cook a meal, use the bathroom or read Us Weekly glance at the mail without her attaching her body to my leg. And wailing, of course, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy", with no end in sight.

Plus, she's crying a bit at our goodbyes. This breaks my heart.

Most of the time she doesn't really want much interaction with me. She just wants me THERE. By her side. Watching her.

I know the feeling.

My mom just had a minor surgery that could have discovered bad, unthinkable things or could mean fine, okay things. And it really better mean fine, okay things.

My mom and I have always been really close. I moved across the country after college partly because it was far away from my parents. I never really rebelled (had no reason to) so I had to individuate in some other way. And physical distance was it.

But I always want my mom's presence. We talk often, sometimes daily, and finish each other's sentences. And I want her around for a very long time.

We're going to New Jersey to be with my folks for the holidays and I will fill myself up with her presence.

Because I want my mommy around. Just THERE. By my side.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kid is totally Clingy McPickMeUp right now. She wants me to be right next to her as she plays, but doesn't really want me to interact. She just wants to know I'm there.

KG said...

Jen,
So sorry to hear about Louise's surgery. It REALLY better be ok!

Thinking of you.

love

Kat

Tess said...

I am totally there with you.

Today at daycare dropoff another kids grabbed my legs and AD screeched NO!! from across the room and pushed him aside. Oh dear.

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping for fine and OK things for your mom, and that she will be with you for a long time to come.

grammalouie said...

Hi - Here's the mommy of the mommy saying I am feeling wonderful and, guess what, I want my daughter right by my side too, despite the miles that separate us. Can't wait for the 19th - yay!
Love you, M

JessieD said...

Jenna,

Hey lady -- please please tell your mom she's in our thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Jess

Blog Designed by: NW Designs