1/7/08

Unpacking.

I'm one of those total panty-twisters who loves to immediately unpack as soon as I return home from a trip. Unfortunately, this is yet another neurosis I must surrender to motherhood. Our bags are still partially full, with bits strewn around the outskirts by frantic hands searching for matching socks, favorite sweaters and cell phone chargers.

I've been totally out of sorts since returning home on Wednesday. Perhaps the fact that our 5 and half hour return flight turned into an 8 and half hour flight due to mechanical issues that kept us on the plane, at the gate, for three extra hours has something to do with the rough reentry. (Who me, bitter? NAH.) Or maybe it was the fact that the airline totally broke our stroller when they gate checked it. Or maybe it's that I have succumbed to yet another head cold after a brief two-day respite since my last two-week-long head cold. Or maybe it's just that I am back home, back to reality, back to bills and cooking and laundry and endless wintry, rainy days. (Wah. Don't I get sympathy when it rains in LA? I mean, it's supposed to be sunny all the time here. Eff the aquifers, I want sun!)

I was so sad to send Z to daycare on Friday. After our two weeks on the east coast, I was feeling super attached, like maybe I want to go back to staying at home with her full time. Like this really is the most precious work I can do. Of course, what really happened was that I got used to sharing parenting 50/50 with CG every single day as well as having grandparents, aunties and uncles around to entertain, distract and cajole Z. Staying at home with her by myself day after day, week after week is not good for me and I know that. But it sure was nice to have lots of time with her and everyone else as well.

Plus the only tears she shed at daycare on Friday were when I came, all guilty and desperate for baby kisses, to pick her up early. She barely glanced at me, went back to her dolly tea party and howled her indignation at having to leave.

Ah, the ungratefulness!

On to photos- I finally unpacked the camera as well!

This was a common sight on vacation. The girl didn't really need presents, just a set of stairs.
But if you're thinking of getting her a present, her uncles would do just fine.
They have a similar sense of humor, I think.
Z LOVED the kitties she met.
But she wanted to treat them all like dogs.
The whole cat-standoffish-thing never made sense to me either. You mean I won't get slobbery kisses and get to scratch her belly till we both fall asleep?
Z gleefully "drove" a bus in the Please Touch Museum in Philly. I can safely say it was the highlight of her vacation.

Okay, that's it. I have to officially move on from vacation and finish unpacking.

Either that or I just shove what's left in a closet and deal with it once the Nyquil has been put away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic pictures. She looks ready for her learner's permit any day now.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs