1/17/08

It's a red, numberless world.

(So I got an email from a friend gently suggesting that yesterday's post was a bit off in tone. She suggested that I not get all "wah, I was TOO fit, WAH" too often, lest I piss someone off. Oops. Sorry. I was trying to speak my truth but perhaps I missed the mark this time.)

(Anyway.)

The other day I went to pick up Z at School and I made the usual chitchat with one of the teachers about how both Z and another girl (we'll call her Maisy) are due to move up to the next classroom. The one with the little low potties (aw!) and the little low sinks (aw!) and the cheaper price tag/huge yard with a slide/set nap schedule (Z and CBHM: "YES PLEASE. GIMME NOW.")

The teacher very sweetly said to me: "Yeah, Maisy is SO ready. She knows her colors and her numbers 1-10. She's SO ready to get out of here and be with the older kids who are more on her level."

And I, being the crazy person I am, totally took offense.

I mean, maybe Z isn't great with colors (everything is "red" in her world currently) and doesn't know her numbers (Jesus. Am I supposed to be working on numbers with her already? It's not like we don't TALK about numbers but I'm not especially focused on smushing calculus into her little brain yet, you know?) but that doesn't mean she too isn't ready to be with the "older kids who are more on her level". At the very least, I can totally attest to the fact that she is SO ready, has been in intense training really, for the SLIDE.

Maybe Maisy should stay behind and tutor the 6 month olds on their frickin' colors. We wouldn't want them to FALL BEHIND.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mimi was past two years before everything stopped being purple. We even talked about her maybe being color-blind since all the other kids seem to be getting it, but she eventually figured it out. I wouldn't worry about a thing. Maybe Zoe is just seeing the world through rose-colored glasses?

Blog Designed by: NW Designs