6/19/08

The most obvious explanation.

The other day I was receiving some body work from C, a physical therapist friend of mine and as she tweaked, prodded and rubbed the bejesus out of my right shoulder, I gave her a laundry list of possible explanations for this pain from my past:

Explanation #1- A dance piece required me to do several slow-mo one arm pushups with my right arm. At the end of our rehearsal period I looked a little like GI Jane. ON ONE SIDE.

Explanation #2- While white water rafting on the Zambezi River, our boat flipped and I spent an eternity under the boat, hanging on for dear life with my right arm, twisting and turning in an insane eddy. I couldn't lift my arm for a week.

Explanation #3- Seven years ago, when I was massaging people almost full time, doing crazy yoga and dancing most days of the week, riding my bike everywhere in SF, I would up with a condition called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome from the overuse of my arms. I was so weak from it that I couldn't even brush or wash my own hair for about a month.

At the end of the session, C mentioned that her right shoulder used to bother her when she had to reach back and give her son a new snack or toy from the driver's seat. I poo-pooed this suggestion.

After C's work, my arm and shoulder felt great.

Today, as I drove Zoe home from School, I reached back to give her her water cup and ZING.

BINGO.

and also: DUH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am actually trying to figure out who should go on the left vs. right side of the back seat when we have two kids. Who is more likely to need me to reach back for something? It's easier to load an infant from the driver's side, I think, but then I can't see her as well.

I think I will need to take shoulder pain into account too.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs